Monday, March 10, 2014

embracing being Mrs A

I had a funny experience a few days ago.  There is this perception when people first meet me.  If they know about CJ, I'm greeted over cautiously.  Adults that is.  Teenagers are (as they usually are) completely a different story!

Over the past few weekends our youngest daughter has the honor of preparing to be a dama (court member) for a friend's  quincenera.  Dance lessons, formal dresses... it is the equivalent of a wedding reception with choreographed dances.

2 of the other girls in the court are new friends to us. I have been helping with alterations and have spent some time getting to know them.

Low back dresses needed sewn in bra cups- which is where I was called in. Try to talk cup size with a bunch of teen girls and you can imagine the giggles and whispers! 

Last weekend I brought sample size cups to their dance practice to finalize sizes.  I admit to being completely amused by how they surrounded me to keep the boys from seeing.  Of course I talk with my hands, so the infectious laughter kept increasing as I was waving around bra cups as we talked.  My own daughter was full of eye rolls and the ever present "omg" look teen girls perfect with soooo much practice.

Later that night my kid was joking around with me as we finished her alterations and I teased her about her cup size.  she hugged me and told me "and that's why my friends love you, mom".  Talk about melting my heart!

Those moments interacting with the kiddos is why I can't hide away.  They remind me why I miss CJ so much.  I can honestly say being a mom is my greatest accomplishment.  I love it.  I work very hard at it. Nobody will ever call me perfect, but I hope every kid that crosses my path feels loved, respected, and shares a smile.  That's what keeps me going.

I watch other moms squander their opportunity.  They are worried about their social lives or other noise instead of the blessings right in front of them. They scream and swear at their kids in front of me, which scares me what they do begins closed doors.  The same kids I see screaming back at their moms are helping wash dishes after dinner in my home, desperate for the 20 min interaction with a mom who will listen.

CJ's influence pushes me every single day.  I feel him guiding me to find the time.  Not only for our gorgeous kids, but the "strays" that fill our couches and our lives over the weekends, and often spilling into the week.

Mrs. Aguilar.  That's me.  And I'm cool with that!  They have enough friends.  I'm happy to be a trusted, respected adult in their lives.  When my children address you accordingly, know it's a sign of respect.  They understand you are not their peer, but an adult.  I hope you get to know them and enjoy some of the energy that keeps me going!

Reach out to a child.  You will be paid back in abundance! #doitforcj

No comments:

Post a Comment