Wednesday, September 10, 2014

#doitforcj today and always!

I can't help myself.  I tend to end up in conversations with perfect strangers anytime I am standing in the dreaded eternal Walmart line.

But before I even got that far today, 2 interactions I witnessed had me thinking.  First a mom had a toddler in a car watching a movie on an iPad.  I followed her down a few isles.  The only time she spoke to the child was to warn her if she talked, she would take the iPad away.  My heart broke for the child as well at the mom and the experiences they were missing out on together.

Next in the cosmetics isle, a very excited preteen was shopping for makeup with her dad who was in over his head, but trying.  As she asked him what he thought of the bright blue eye shadow she held up. I resisted the urge to giggle.  God bless him for being present!  I winked at him at I walked by and suggested to her how pretty the pale pink would look instead. She beamed at me as she happily switched to pink and dad mouthed "thank you" as I walked past.   Just taking care of my village I said to myself. Paying it forward.

I finally made it into a line and unloaded my cart. Just as I finished, I was ran into from behind with one of the motorized carts.  I actually lost my balance and fell backwards up against it just as she darted backwards in reverse.  I regained my balance laughing and turned around to find an elderly lady dressed to the nines looking mortified.  I laughed and told her no harm done and offered to empty her basket.  She was so thankful and we chatted while I stacked.  She asked my name, then replied she had a baby she named Jenny and she only lived a few months. I reached over and put my hands on hers and told her I was so sorry and I understand what it feels like to lose a child.  Her eyes filled with tears and she gasped "oh, no! What is your angel's name?".  I told her his full name and added that we call him CJ.  At this point the cashier is waiting for me to pay, but is too caught up in our conversation to complain.  My sweet new friends said to me "I'm going to thank God we meet today".

Me too, Ms. Annie. 

The cashier took my money and I noticed tears in her eyes. While I fumbled for keys, I watched as she loaded my new friend's cart and helped her dial her ride on her huge buttoned cell phone. The next gentleman in line stood smiling patiently. My village was feeling my little boy's love !!

How was your village today?  Did you engage or remain a silent observer?  I'm questioning if I should have engaged the toddler with the  electronic babysitter.  No day is perfect, but I can rest tonight knowing I tried. 

Tomorrow is another day to #doitforcj !!

No comments:

Post a Comment