Friday, May 8, 2015

"Mothers Day" bullshit and a soaking wet dog...

Sometimes a stressful week bubbles over to a moment of such insanity that it becomes hilarious.  That has been me this week!

I have been trying to avoid all things relating to the upcoming Hallmark holiday with every inch of my being!  I am so blessed and thankful to be a mom.  What I don't need is a day of counting my blessings and being reminded of our missing son.   Even my morning tv is swamped with sweet little stories of moms who reign in the quest for the motherhood crown.  Yep, I'm calling bullshit on the entire "holiday"!

In my quest to block out the bullshit, a few days ago we went to the local hardware store for mulch dirt, a half dozen big planters, and several flats of flowers. I spent 8 hours cleaning, planting, and blowing off steam in our backyard.

Not everyone appreciated my hard work.

Bonnie...

Our ridiculously spoiled 1 year old shepherd/boxer/pitbull mix maniac. Life with Bonnie is like living with the 3 stooges all wrapped up n a nonverbal nut job! Her energy is never ending, she is smarter than any animal I have ever known, and she is trained to do very little except cuddle and make us laugh.

Yesterday, like any other day, she spent most of the afternoon in the fenced yard having a marvelous time.  What I didn't realize until my oldest daughter walked in the house laughing was that sweet Bonnie was digging up all of my beautiful planters.

I hit my boiling point!  After screaming at her in the backyard like a maniac, she peed all over herself in fear and probably confusion.  As she ran off to hide, I prepared for battle.  My daughter, still laughing hysterically, watched me turn the hose on and hide around the corner.  My heart was pounding out of my chest and the pup should be thankful the hose was the onlv weapon I could find at the moment! I took a deep breath and starting cheerfully calling Bonnie to me.  Yes,  the daughter is still laughing hysterically watching this all unfold.  Don't worry- It's all about to blow up in her face!

Bonnie comes happily trotting over and into my trap.  As soon as she turns the corner and is trapped between me and the fence I open fire!  I sprayed that damn dog down with every bit of frustration I had been brewing this week!  I sprayed her until she backed herself right into the corner.  And I kept spraying.  I may have even had a menacing laugh at this point.  And eventually I stop seeing red and notice the daughter the dog has hidden behind who is drenched, arms raised like she's under arrest, and howling in laughter at her insane mother!  I lowered my weapon and paused for a moment with the realization of what I had just done. More laughter as we both lost it!

Now for all of you worried about Bonnie, she shook off and trotted away oblivious.

This story was retold to the rest of the family over burgers in a restaurant later that night.  We all howled in laughter as Kate recounted being hose down by a crazy woman.  I sat thankfully with tears in my eyes for our rowdy table of the people who love me even when I'm acting like a maniac. 

That's what I want my Mother's Day to be.  Not fancy brunches, cards, or cheesy tv specials.  I want to acknowledge how hard the entire gig really is!  It's pictures of a mascara streaked woman holding her dead baby. It's moms NOT having stellar moments and feeding their kids popcorn for dinner.  And it's hosing your 22 year old down on accident when you finally over boil.  And most importantly it's saying you are still doing stellar job even on those years that you wonder how you will take the next breath, let alone care for others.  Screw that Hallmark image of the sweet mom sharing a yard swing with her adorable toddler in matching sundresses!  Put a woman lying on her son's grave crying and I can finally relate.

Give your moms a real gift this week.  Be the kid laughing hysterically while her mom hoses her down accidently.  Forgive a woman's flaws and rejoice her ability to persevere.  No journey is perfect, but you can get through it with some laughter and a lot of love.  #doitforcj

No comments:

Post a Comment