Monday, February 17, 2014

Crazy extravagance

Obviously our life has changed.  With mounting health issues during my pregnancy, I was forced to leave a very stressful job.  That leaves us with 1 income for the first time in many years.  Even just working part time, my check covered the small expences that we never gave much thought to.  Kids clothing/school and extracurricular expences, pet needs, impromptu take out...  With that income gone extras are nonexistent. 

So when my best gold chain broke, I was heartbroken.  It is a beautiful white gold boxchain that I wear a diamond studded heart on.  I do not own a lot of expensive jewelry, so these 2 pieces are very special to me.

Before Christmas we dropped it off for repair at the jewelry shop. I have thought of it often, but knowing we owed $30 for the repair I just could bring myself to pick it up.

Today cabin fever had me climbing the walls.  DH must have sensed my breaking point was close because he offered an escape in a snowstorm for window shopping.

We roamed a furniture store for awhile then stopped for a burger.  This alone was a big treat knowing we had plenty of left overs at home.  When we finally headed home, he pulled into the jewelry store lot and handed me $40.  Excitement doesn't describe how I felt.  Do not read into this that I needed permission.  Anyone who knows me knows that I am far from submissive. But taking from our family when things are so tight is very difficult for me.  For a brief moment, I allowed myself to be selfish. 

I know that $40 in his pocket was allocated to something else.  Just like the bit in mine is.  But for one sweet moment, we were back to being a dating couple spoiling eachother.

I need to bring more of those moments back into our life.  CJ has taught us how precious love is.  How every day we have eachother is such a gift.  I want my family to feel special every single day.  They have been my saving grace through the biggest nightmare.  They deserve to feel special, loved, and appreciated. 

That's my goal this week. To #doitforcj.  How about you??

No comments:

Post a Comment