Monday, October 27, 2014

Babysitting??

Little feet have been scampering around our house.  Tiny fingerprint on the TV, fireplace, and front window remind me he was here.  An acquaintance asked me why I would put myself through such a thing.  My answer is very simple.

He's not my son.

This little guy is just a few weeks older than CJ.   I watched my sweet friend nervously prepare to return to work after being home with him the past year.  There was absolutely no hesitation in my heart to offer to help her out. 

For the past few weeks, he and I have spent our weekdays together.  He makes me laugh with his antics. Even his fits make me giggle. I've been reminded how challenging it is to grocery shop with a one year old and how quickly little fingers can get into mischief!  I wipe his morning tears as mommy leaves, cuddle up on the couch with him and my coffee, and we both take some time to enjoy that quiet time before he is off and running!

I happily allow him to strip, chase the dogs, climb the furniture, throw his toys everywhere, loose tv remotes/car keys/sunglasses, and attempt to scale the baby gate. Lunch is homecooked meals I prepare the day before that he eats in his booster (on top the coffee table to avoid fattening up the dogs) while we watch a Disney movie. 

He is overindulged, but so am I.  He freely gives away kisses and cuddles all day long.  He reminds me some things can simply wait until later, and sitting on the floor playing trucks IS pretty cool.

He has venture out to our lunch dates with us and I always laugh at the odd looks we get when this sweet  boy's little afro definitely isn't from my husband...  Yet Nate happily carries him and chatters away at the table with him.  Stroller walks in the mall, shopping, and the dreaded post office line... We've tackled it all! 

But he's not my son.

My few tearful moments have really been about my family. Hearing the girls play with him from the next room, or catching Nate quietly watching me snuggling with him.  I feel the joy his presence brings, but also see in their eyes how they miss CJ.  How we all miss our sweet boy.

For now, we have been blessed with a buddy.  Colton and I are falling into a rhythm.  He keeps me from slipping back into bed on the bad days, and hopefully I'm showing him how wonderful the world is.  Amazing how a one year old can have such as huge effect on helping me heal.

To Colton's mommy,  I love you like a sister. Thank you for trusting me with your sweet little boy.  I hope my crazy text updates help you feel like you are with us during our crazy days!  I promise to kiss him way too much, take a ridiculous amount of pictures, give him baths just so I can sit still for 15 min, let him ride the shepherd (but not the cocker spaniel. There have to be SOME rules!!), destroy less laundry, and do my best to be the sitter I would want for CJ.

He may not be my son, but I love him! Thank you for loving my girls and bringing a bit of madness into my life.  You are truly the MODY!  maybe I can strive for first runner up?? 

#doitforcj

No comments:

Post a Comment