Thursday, August 7, 2014

Angels everywhere

I had an encounter while visiting CJ the other day.  I didn't think much of it then. Last night I had a dream about it.

I was standing quietly feeling pretty hallow.  Usually I sit down if I'm alone,  but this day I was feeling very detached.   After just a few moments I heard a man's voice call out "you must be his momma. I'm so sorry".  On the other side of the fence stood an elderly man.  His eyes were so caring I tried to stifle tears.  

"yes, I am" I managed to say.   The man's gaze moved to CJ's stone.   "My wife and I cried from our porch watching your beautiful family the day the headstone was delivered.   We don't know your story, but think of you often".

I thanked him awkwardly,  not quite knowing if I should explain further or even leave.

He then told me they say hello to him every time they pull into thier driveway.  His wife insists on calling him baby Christian, but he prefers Chris.  I smiled and told him that we nicknamed CJ. He smiled back at me and replied "then CJ it is! " and turned to walk back to the shed where he had been working.

Such a simple interaction.   He wasn't pushing for an explanation like most do.  Our story of how we ended up with our son a few yards from his property didn't matter.  He was simply giving a grieving mom's heart the acknowledgment it needed.  My son exists.  He is part of our family.  He had not been forgotten.

Last night I had a dream about CJ's neighbors.   We were all sitting in the grass watching his stone being delivered.   Above us were angels watching over us.  Atleast a dozen beautiful angels who's faces I can't remember.  One of them said"let's call him Chris!" and another answered in a familiar voice "his momma calls him CJ".  Overlapping voices called out "hi CJ".  And then those angels flew behind us. I turned around to watch them disappear into the elderly man's home.

There are angels everywhere.   They have protected us, prompted me to keep breathing,  tickled us back into laughing,  wrapped thier wings around us when we are hurting,  and lead us to places of hope and healing.   When you meet one,  you are blessed.

I am very blessed.

#doitforcj

No comments:

Post a Comment