Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Insult to injury

A few days after the funeral, I sat down to go through all the paperwork from the funeral home.  Some realities set in that I still have so much anger over.

To begin with, CJ doesn't have a birth certificate.  Any other baby born after 20 weeks gestation that takes 1 simple breath, is acknowledged with a birth certificate.  An almost full term angel does not exist.  The only reason there is even a death certificate is we had a funeral home involved to bury him.

This drove me nuts.  Luckily I had a solution.  I was able to call our church and get a beautiful baptism certificate. Seeing his name in print was such a comfort.  But it still breaks my heart to think of all those moms that have nothing. 

So in Illinois, CJ could not be covered on Nate's company dependent life insurance plan. Insult to injury. My son doesn't exist once again.

Some states issue a modified birth certificate so you can collect on insurance and1 year tax credit.  I get to answer no when asked if I had a baby this year. Thank you Turbo Tax...

We didn't publish an obituary in the paper for the simple reason I stated in a past blog.  We just didn't get it.

Giving a mom a blank hospital certificate she can fill out is not good enough.  We need to acknowledge these angels.  That's an issue that keeps swirling around in my mind.  My place to make a difference will come to me.  This is just one of many.

CJ, mommy will find a way to help other angel mommies.  I'm getting stronger every day. Your memory will be honored.  I will always #doitforcj

2 comments:

  1. In the State of Illinois (and many other states) you can get a "certificate of birth resulting in stillbirth" I have one for Tayla. Not sure if that helps but somehow it gave me comfort that she was acknowledged. Hugs today and always.

    Here is some info to help you out...
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=960&GAID=12&SessionID=85&LegID=71276

    Here is an email address where they can perhaps guide you in how to get the certificate: dph.vitalrec@illinois.gov

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! I'm looking into it now

    ReplyDelete