Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Teenage love

Remember when saying I love you was so easy?  When we gave out hugs daily without reservation?

When we were teens, love for our friends was so tangible. 

I have a houseful of that young love. All 3 daughters have "boyfriends" and numerous friends that seem to move in for days on end (a few I could probably legally claim as dependents they are here so often!) That leaves us with a home brimming with overemotional love.

They don't hesitate to hug me. They don't think twice if I'm in my pjs in the middle of the afternoon.  They don't pretend not to see CJ's pictures hanging.  These kids just want to be around.  While adult curiosity leads to whispers and stares, these kids GET that I need that silly hug.  They have been my lifeline.  All those long lonely evenings with my husband work-  they get me through.  They break the silence. 

Knowing CJ had Downs, I think about how he would have been as a teenager.  How he would fit into this insane household.  And every time I smile knowing how loved and cherished his presence would be.  How accepting and beautiful this clan of oddballs has somehow turned into this beautiful accepting extended family.

We could all use a houseful of teenage style love to remind us of how important it is to be unguarded.  They helped us bring hope and life back into our home.  They keep CJ's memory vibrant and alive.  They remind me daily how to #doitforcj




No comments:

Post a Comment